Wednesday, October 7, 2009

T-1

T-1 is shorthand for the first transition in a triathlon, from the swim to the bike. Since I'm sort of at the first transition between phases of my training the title seemed to fit for this post. I'm obviously not transitioning from swimming to biking but there is definitely change in the air.

After almost 2 full months of nothing but running I am starting to add biking to my routine and swimming will soon follow. I had predicted this wouldn't happen until November, but there are several reasons for the change. First, I have gotten better at running much sooner than I thought I would and my runs are getting longer so I don't want to run every day any more. It's easy to go every day when it's 3 miles, not so much when it's 6. Second, I have lost weight more quickly than I thought I would (18 pounds so far!) so I can ease up on the activity (running) that makes me lose the most. Third, I was getting bored running every day. The stationary bike is not my favorite either but at least it's different and the pool will add even more variety. Fourth, the weather is changing and not every day is conducive to running. I know the hard core runners would disagree, but there are some days I just can't go outside. Finally, it is a triathlon I'm training for so I do need to do all three sports.

I feel pretty strong on the bike already. It's probably a result of all the running but so far I've just ridden the stationary bike in the fitness center at work. The real test will be when I get on the tri-bike on my trainer at home. I'll let you know how that goes. Maybe this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Greg, Keep up the good work! I am still reading your posts.

    You wrote about your tri-bike, is that the actual bike you will ride during the race?

    Now for the stupid humor:

    When you mention stationary bike, did you borrow Mom's sweet bike that has the fan and moving handles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's my actual bike. I have a stationary trainer to put it in so I can ride it inside. It really helps to train on the bike you will ride in the race and in the winter in Ohio the only way is on a trainer.

    No, I didn't borrow mom's fan bike. It would have been too much for me to handle!

    ReplyDelete