Monday, October 12, 2009

And now for something completely different...

Saturday morning Susan and I ran in a 5k Bootcamp challenge at the Twinsburg fitness center. Many of our bootcamp friends were there along with some new faces (about 35 people total). It was a blast!

Mike (the Bootcamp instructor) put the course together around the fitness center and some of the school and park facilities nearby. It consisted of a 5K run sprinkled with obstacles and challenges. We had to do lunges, squat lifts, sand bag carries, hurdles, cones, pushups, medicine ball throws and LOTS of low crawls under nets. Mike is a Marine after all so the low crawls were not that big of a surprise. It truly was a challenge and we had a good time.

I didn't get chicked (see Josh's blog here: http://gettinchicked.blogspot.com/ if you don't know what that means) and I was fifth or sixth overall. I had already done a spinning class earlier in the morning so I was a little fatigued at the end. Otherwise I would have caught Dwayne who finished just ahead of me (at least that's what I'm telling myself). I may have held back a bit too because I didn't want to make him feel bad. He's a lot younger than me and I didn't want to bruise his ego.

As a bonus, after the race we realized that everyone who finished ahead of us had taken a couple of wrong turns and didn't run the entire course. As a result Dwayne and I decided we were really first and second! Congrats Dwayne! Let me know when you get your trophy because I'm sure mine won't be far behind.

3 comments:

  1. I think we call it First and Second! If we have to make our own medals to show off we will. You might have caught me, but you will never know now. You definitely surprised me with your running! Great job! Next time save your legs, I do not want to hear any excuses why you did not catch me. Not a lot younger (4 years), so you can't use that either. I do not know about you but I was about to puke at the end. Thankfully Carol wasn't there to chick us and I did not end up crawling through dog doo or getting ringworm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are all winners at bootcamp and we all should have waited for each other and jumped over the string at the end together, sang kumbaya,then Mike would have puked!
    Greg, you are doing an awesome job! Dwayne too! Remember age is just a number on your driver's license and not how you are defined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg,

    Keep up the good work and we KNOW it will pay off for you. We are cheering you on from Mansfield.

    Love to you and your family at home and your exercise family.

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete