Thursday, August 27, 2009

In the beginning...

After talking about it for over three years I decided I'm going to man up and train for a full distance triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run = 140.6). This blog will serve as my training diary and will provide updates for the 3 or 4 people who want to follow my progress. Hi Mom!!

I am planning to do the Rev3 full distance triathlon at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio on September 12, 2010. Here is their web site http://www.rev3tri.com/. They can't call it an "Ironman" triathlon because that is a trademarked term, but it's the same distance. If (when) I cross the finish line I will consider myself to be an Ironman.

For me this is a huge step. It's not overly impressive to the thousands of people who have done the same thing before and I certainly don't expect to challenge for any medals, but I want to reach this goal. I did a half-Ironman distance tri a few years ago, almost on a whim, and didn't fare so well. I did quite well in the swim (the only person without a wet suit) and held my own in the bike but I bonked on the run. My half-marathon time was close to 3 hours. Ouch!

My biggest fear in this race, and all races, is the run. I am not a good runner and I am especially not a good runner after swimming and biking. So, I am going to spend the next several months building a running base and trying to lose weight. In fact, I started doing just that about 2 weeks ago. I started slow (both literally and figuratively) and will build distance and speed over time.

Check back often to see how things are going. I hope to update frequently.

1 comment:

  1. When are you coming to Colorado to do some high altitude training? How about a week in December or January? There are a ton of bike trails in Lakewood and many of them end up in the foothills and mountains. You could even train Rocky Balboa style in the mountain snow while jogging with a railroad tie on your shoulders. We could also put some old skis on the BOB jogging stroller so you could push Jasper around the mountains. Or, how about some mountain rides during spring break or next summer (none of that OHIO humidity!) If you need someone to ride along side of you yelling degrading motivational phrases I am even willing to ride the Honda CRF 450.

    In all seriousness. I am impressed that you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete